Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of All Saints Church, Wingerworth

Published in October 2016

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

Near the south door of Wingerworth church is the base of a stone cross. This is the remains of an Anglo-Saxon preaching cross and marks the place where Christians worshipped over 1000 years ago. The old Norman church was rebuilt in the sixteenth century when the tower was added. A feature of the present narthex (the old nave) is the rood loft. This is thought to date from about 1500 and was used to support the Holy Rood (the figures of our lord, St. Mary and St. John). This was removed around the time of the Reformation. The new extension was dedicated on 6th June 1964 by the Bishop of Derby.

Near the church stood Wingerworth Hall. The Curzons of Kedleston inherited the manor of Wingerworth and built the new Hall about 1513. This was leased to Nicholas Hunloke in 1545. In 1582 his son bought it. Although the Hunlokes were Roman Catholics and had a private chapel at the Hall, most of them were baptised and buried at All Saints. Henry Hunloke, the 4th Baronet, built the mausoleum at the church where he is buried. His initials and the date 1783 are on the lintel over the former entrance to it. His initials also appear over the doors of the lodges at the end of Central Drive. In 19C on the death of Adelaide Augusta Wilhemina, the estate passed to his nephew, Philip Percival, who came to live at the Hall and took the Hunloke name. However, in 1920 he put the whole estate up for auction. The Hall was later demolished.

Wingerworth is 2 miles south of Chesterfield and is still a mainly rural parish. There is a story that Sir Thomas Hunloke who died a year after the battle of Waterloo, invited French prisoners who were on parole in Chesterfield to his private chapel. On realising that the French prisoners were not allowed to go further than one mile out of the town, Sir Thomas overcame the problem by having the milestone removed and placed further away!

The registers of All Saints date from 1539 and are at the County Record Office, at Matlock.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ADLINGTONAINSWORTHALDERSONALDOUSALLEN
ALLETTALLISONAMBLERASHLEYASHTON
ATKINSONATTWOODAUSTINBAGGSBAILEY
BARNESBARROWBARROWBARSLAYBAYTON
BEARDBEARDBEARDOWBENNBENNIT
BERIDGEBIGGINBINNSBLACKBLANK
BLYTHEBODENBONDBOURNEBOWER
BRADLEYBRADLEYBRAILSFORDBRAMANTEBRIGGS
BRINKLERBROOKSBROOMEBROOMHEADBROWN
BRUMMELLBULLOCKBURKITTBURRELLBURTON
BUTLERBYWATERCADMANCALDERCAMM
CARRCARTWRIGHTCHAMBERSCHAPPELLCHARNLAY
CHATSWORTHCHESHIRECHILDSCLARKE(E)CLAY
CLAYTONCLOUGHCOCKERILLCOCKMANCOLEMAN
COMMCOOPERCOULTONCOWLEYCOX
CROFT(S)CROOKESCROSBYCUNNINGHAMCUTTS
DAVENPORTDAVI(E)SDAVISONDAWESDAWSON
DAYDEANDETHICKDOLLINGDOLLS
DORRINGTONDOWNSETTDRANFIELDDRAYCOTTDUNN
DURHAMDUTTONEAGLESFIELDEASTWOODEDWARDS
EGGLESTONELLIOTTELLISELLOTELVIN
EVANSFAKEFALCONERFEARNFIDLER
FINNEYFLETCHERFORDFORMONFRITH
FROGGATTFROSTFURNESSFURNISHGADSBY
GASCOYNEGAUNTGELSTHORPEGENTGITTOS
GLADWINGLOSSOPGODBERGOODACREGOODALL
GOODLADGOREGRANTGRATTAGEGRATTON
GREAVESGREENGREENFIELDGREEVEGRIFFIN
HADFIELDHAGUESHAI(Y)NESHALIFAXHAMBLETON
HANCOCKHANDBURYHARDWICKHARDYHARRISON
HARV(E)YHASLAMHEATHCOTEHELDREDHENSON
HERVEYHESKETHHETHERINGTONHIBBERDHICKERS
HIGGINBOTHAMHIGGINBOTTOMHILLHINCHLEYHIPPEY
HOLEHOLLANDHOLMESHOOLEHOPKINSON
HORNERHOSKERHOUFTONHOWSONHUGHES
HULLEYHUNLOKEHUTCHINSONHUTSONHYLAND
JACKJACKSONJAGGERJENNINGSJOHNSON
JOHNSTONEJONESKEATKEETONKELLY
KENNEDYKIELMANSEGGKILLARNEYKINNIBURGHKITCHEN
KNIGHTONKNOWLESLABRUMLACYLANGRIDGE
LAUGHTONLEELENTHALLLESTERLEWIS
LIGH-ELIGHFLELDLILLEYLINGLINGA(E)RD
LITTLEWOODLLOYDLOOKERLORDLOVATT
LOWSLYNNMALTBYMANNERSMARGERESON
MARLOWMARRIOTTMARSHMARSHALLMART(E)IN
MASONMATHERMELLISHMELLORMERRY
METCALFMILNERMILNESMINTERMIRFIN
MOODYMOORSMORISONMORRISMOWER
MURRAYMYCROFTMYRONKOMcDONALDNEEDHAM
NEWTONNICHOLLSNORMANNORTHO(U)LDFIELD
OAKESOATESOLIVERORAMSORMESHER
OTTEWELLPAGEPARAMOREPARKINPARKS
PEACOCKPEARCEPEARSONPEATPEDLEY
PEGGPERCIVALPERKINSPERRYPETERS
PFLUGERPHIL(L)I(P)PSPICKARDPOPEPOTTER
POUNDSPOWELLPOXONPRICEPRIEST
PRIESTNALLPRINCEPROBERTPROCTORPULLEN
PYRAHQUIRKSRADFORDRATCLIFFERAWLINGS
RAWLINSREANEYREAYREDDALLREDFERN
REIDRENOWREVEL(L)RICHARDSONROBINSON
ROLLINGROOTROOTHROWRUDGE
RUMSEYRUTHERFORDRYANSARGENTSAXTON
SEARSONSEELYSHAWSHELTONSHEMWELL
SHORTSIDDALLSLATERSLIMANSMITH
SOCKETTSPAFFORDSPENCERSPIERS-ADAMSPOONER
STATENSTEVENSONSTOLLARDSTONESSTRINGFELLOW
SUMMERFIELDSUMMERSSUTCLIFFESWAINSWIFT
SYMONDSTATLOWTAYLORTEBBETTETLEY
THOMASTHOMPSONTHORNHILLTHORPETHRILLWIND
TILLTODDTOMLINSONTOWNSENDTRICKETT
TURNERTWELVESTWIGGVAUGHANVICKERS
WADDINGTONWALKERWALLAGEWALTERSWALTON
WARSDALWATERHOUSEWATKINSONWATSONWATTS
WEBBWELCHWENLOCKWESTONWHARTON
WHEATCROFTWHITEWHITEHEADWHYATTWICKHAM
WIDDOWSONWIGTONWILKINSONWILLISWILMOT
WILSONWINTHROPEWITHERSWOODWOODHEAD
WOODWARDWORTHYWRAGGWRIGHTWYATT

STONE MASONS

BARROWDALEJACKSONMASONTHOMASCARR
KAYMOUNSEYWADDINGTONELLISLETHALL
RUTHERFORDWILSONGRATTENLIDSTERSHEPHERD
WRIGHTHOLLINGWORTHLIMBSMITH 

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/WingerworthMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter