Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of St Leonard Church, Thorpe

Published in April 2018

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

The tiny village of Thorpe lies 3 miles north of Ashbourne at the entrance to picturesque Dovedale and almost on the slopes of Thorpe Cloud, the well-known grassy hill with its craggy summit. Thorpe Cloud dominates the area, rising almost 1,000 ft. above sea level. The river Dove, which gives its name to the dale through which it flows, forms the border between Derbyshire and Staffordshire.

The narrow village road along which are scattered a few delightful cottages climbs towards the parish church with its squat Norman tower, once a chapelry of Ashbourne. The registers dating from 1538 are deposited at the County Record Office, Matlock. Recorded in the year 1605/6 are details of 29 burials in 3 months indicating that the village was visited by the plague at this time. There is also a memorandum stating that for 12 years (1643-1656) the registers were not kept, although a few names were inserted later. This would be during the time of Oliver Cromwell.

In the churchyard stands a sundial by Whitehurst of Derby, a famous clockmaker who lived from 1713 to 1788. The clock in the church tower is by John Smith & Sons of Derby, successors to the Whitehurst family business.

At the time of the Domesday Survey, Thorpe was in the possession of the Crown. It then passed through the hands of the Wythen, Cockaine, Milward and Adderley families until it was purchased by William Fit[z]herbert of Tissington in the mid 19th century. To the east of the village lies Broadlow Ash, once owned by the Milwards, mentioned in the Domesday Book as a Berewick or hamlet of Ashbourne of which only one farm remains. To the north of Thorpe is Hanson Grange which has passed through the hands of the Paget, Flacket and Boothby families until it became the property of William Gould in the early 19th century and is still owned by members of that family.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ADAMSBADNALLBANKSBARBERBARKS
BARNESBARNETTBARRATTBARRETTBASSETT
BEARDSL(E)YBERISFORDBLACKDENBLOUNTBODEN
BOOTHBOWLDBOWLERBRIDGWATERBROWN
BURKILLBUXTONCHADWICKDEANEDMONDS
EDWARDSELLISETCHESFINNEYFISHER
FLETCHERFOSTERFROGGATTFURBERGAINS
GARLICKGARRATTGOLDSTRAWGOULDGRATION
GREATOREXGREENSMITHGRINDEYGROVESHALL
HARDINGHARDYHARRISONHAYWARDHEALD
HEYSHICHMOTTHIGHAMHODGKINSONHOWELL
HUDSONJAMESJOHNSONJORDONKENT
KEWLEYKNOWLESLEESLUCASMADGE
MANSFIELDMELLORMILLERMILLSMILLWARD
MINTONMITCHELLMOTTRAMMYNORSNADIN
NEWCOMEPIDCOCKPOYSERPRINCEREDFERN
ROBERTSROEROWLANDSARGISSONSELLERS
SHIPLEYSKEVINGTONSMITHSTODDARTSTONE
STUBBSSUMMERSTHORNTONTOMKINSONTOMLINSON
TOMSONTOWNSENDTWIGGEWALDRONWARDLE
WATERFALLWEBSTERWESTHORPEWHEELDONWHEEN
WHITEWIGLEYWILLIAMSWILLIAMSONWINDER
WOODROFFEWRIGHT   

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/ThorpeMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter