Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of St Andrew Church, Swanwick

Published in April 2019

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

The village of Swanwick lies on the Ripley to Alfreton road, about 1 mile S.W. of Alfreton. The church of St. Andrew was consecrated in 1859 and was built on a piece of land given by the Rev. John Wood of Swanwick Hall. Francis Wright of Osmaston Manor, near Ashbourne, who was the employer at Butterley Ironworks of so many people, gave more than £500 of the £1,710 needed to build the church, and became its first patron. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs. Morewood of Alfreton Hall on St. Andrew's Day 1858. The parish was created out of the old parish of Pentrich.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ADAMSALLENALLSOPANDREWSANNABLE
ARGYLEARTHURASKEWATKINBALL
BARLOWBARNESBARRETBEARDSLEYBEDNALL
BENBOWBIRCHBLATHERWICKBOOKERBOOTH
BOWLERBRADLEYBRIGGSBROWNBULLOCK
BURGINCALLADINECARTILAGECARTLEDGECARTLIDGE
CATERCHALLONERCLARKCOLECOOPER
COPECRESSWELLCROWDERDAKINDAWES
DOWNSDUROWELLIOT(T)ELLISELSON
ENGLANDEVANSFAULKNERFINCHMANFLETCHER
FORDFRETWELLFRITHGABBITASGADSBY
GAMBLEGILLOTTGLOVERGRANEYGREGORY
HALLHANBURYHARKERHARRISONHASLAM
HASLEMHAYESHELLIWELLHILLHOLMES
HOPKINSONHORTONHUNTJAMIESONJUDSON
KAYKERRYLANGHAMLATHWELLLAWRENCE
LEAMLIMBLITCHFIELDLLOYDLOVEDAY
LOWEMACHINMARSHMARSHALLMATHEWS
MAUDLINMILLSMOOREORTONPARKIN
PEPPERDAYPRIESTPURDYRAWSONRODGERS
ROSESANSAMSCOTTSEEDSEWRY
SHACKLOCKSIMMSSINFIELDSKERMERSLATER
SMITHSTAFFORDSTEELESTEVENSONSTIMPSON
STOCKSSTONESTORERSTRATFORDSTRAW
STRETTONSWAIN(E)TALBOTTARLTONTAYLOR
TOMLINSONTOPHAMTOWERSTURNERWAGER
WAINWALLERWALLISWALTER(S)WALVIN
WARDWATSONWEBSTERWHITEWHITE
WHYLDWHYSALLWIBBERLEYWILDERSWILLGOOSE
WOLFEWOODWRIGHT  

MONUMENTAL MASONS

COPE, E.MORLEY, S.   

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/SwanwickMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter