Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of St James Church, Shardlow

Published in October 2013

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

The village of Shardlow is situated close to the Leicestershire border, just over one mile north of Castle Donington and just over two miles south-west of Draycott.

The Trent and Mersey Canal runs through the village and joins the river Trent about half a mile away. Shardlow is the county's only canal port and before the canal was built it was a river port. A ferry plied across the Trent between Shardlow and Leicestershire until it was replaced in 1760 by the Cavendish Bridge.

The Trent and Mersey Canal opened for traffic in 1770, but it was not until around 1778 that work began on the port warehouses, the adjacent buildings and stabling for the horses that pulled the barges carrying beer, cheese, iron, pottery, salt and timber.

Shardlow became a noisy place with the creaking of cranes, the rattling of chains and the shouts of the wharfmen. With the advent of the railways the canal trade diminished and the buildings alongside the canal fell into disrepair and most were demolished. One of the buildings still remaining is the Clock Warehouse at the wharf, bearing the date 1780. This is now a pub and restaurant.

Shardlow is now a quiet residential village with gardens of some of the houses extending to the canal bank. The canal now forms a pleasant marina for visiting pleasure craft.

The parish church dedicated to St. James was built in 1838 on a site given by Mr. James Sutton of Shardlow House, who also contributed to the cost of its construction. Until the church was built, Shardlow was part of the parish of Aston on Trent. The registers of Baptisms dating from 1838 and those of Marriages and Burials dating from 1839 have been deposited at the County Record Office at Matlock where they are available on film

to researchers.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ADAMSADKINALLENARCHERARMSTRONG
ASTLEBAITUPBAMFORDBARKERBARRETT
BARTONBATTERSBYBAXTERBEALEBEEBY
BENNETTBETTERIDGEBIRKINBLACKSHAWBOE
BOOTHBOTTOMLEYBOWLEYBREWINBROOKING
BROWNBRUCEBUCKETTBUCKLEYBURROWS
BURTONBUTTERYBUXTONCALVERTCAPEWELL
CHAMBERLAINCHAMBERSCLARENCECLARKECLAYTON
CLIFFCLIFFORDCONTISHAWCOOK(E)COPE
CORBETTCOWLISHAWCOXCOXONCROWDER
CUBLEYCULLENDAKINDALEDARLINGTON
DEANDEASDERBYSHIREDICKENSONDICKIN
DICKINSONDRAKEFIELDDRAPEREAMESEATON
EITOVENELLISESSEXEYREFARLEY
FARMERFARMERYFINLAYFLEWITTFOGG
FORDFOSTERFOXFROWGAY
GILBERTGLASSYGLENNGODDARDGOODALL
GREGORYGRIMEHALFORDHALLHALLAM
HANDLEYHARDIMANHARDYHARVEYHENSHALL
HENSOHERRODHEWSONHINKLEYHOGG
HOLDENHOLLINGWORTHHOLMESIRONMONGERJACKSON
JOHNSTONEKEEFEKENNEDYKERRYKIRKMAN
LAIRDLAWLAYCOCKLEELEWIS
LLEWELLYNLLOYDLOCKERM'CLATCHEMANSFIELD
MARSHALLMARSONMEADSMEEMOODY
MOOREMORRISMOUSLEYMUGGMUGGLESTONE
McCLEMONTNAPIERNEWHAMNUTTOSBORNE
OWENPEGGPIPERPLACEPLACKET
PORTERPOSTLEWAITEPOTTSPOYSERRADFORD
RATCLIFFEREDFERNREEDRICEROBERTS
ROBERTSONROBOT(T)HAMSANDERSSANTSAULT
SCOTTSEPHTONSHARDLOWSHAWSHUTTLEWORTH
SMEDLEYSMITHSNAPESNUTCHSOAR
SORESBYSTAINTONSTATHAMSTEERSTENNETT
STEVENSSTONESTURDYSTURGESSSUTTON
SWAINT(H)OMPSONTAYLORTHACKERTILL
TRIGGTRINDERTUNNICLIFFTURNERTUSHINGHAM
TWELLSUNDERWOODUPCHURCHUPTONVERKERK
VON GRAWERTWAKERLEYWALLWALMSLEYWEBB
WEBSTERWEDDALLWELLSWESTWHITELEE
WHITLEYWILDWILLIAMSWINCOTTWINFIELD
WINTERWOMBWELLWOOLLEYWRIGHTYATES

MONUMENTAL MASONS

BAGNALLJACKSONSHARMANWHITEBERESFORD
JOHNSONSHREEVEWHITE & SonsCARTWRIGHT C.D.KELHAM T.
TINKLERWHITE J.COULSON R.LANDERTOMKINSON
WHITE W.ECCLESPARSONS H.WARREN A.GADSBY & Co.
ROBINSON J.B.WARREN F.   

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/ShardlowMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter