Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of St Peter's Church, Parwich

Published in October 1995

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

Parwich is a secluded village six miles north of Ashbourne. It lies amid green fields and hills, away from the busy highway, the nearest main road being the Ashbourne to Bakewell road over a mile away, the Ashbourne to Buxton road being more than two miles away. The houses are built of local limestone and stand mainly around an open green, through which runs a stream.

Parwich, mentioned in the Domesday Survey as Pevrewic, which probably means the dairy farm on the Pever, the above mentioned stream, formed part of the ancient Crown lands, and together with Ashbourne, was granted soon after the Conquest, to the Ferrers, Earls of Derby. Robert de Ferres, the grantee's son, took a prominent part in Montford's rebellion, and his lands were seized by the King. It was later held by the family of Cockayne after being conferred to the Duchy of Lancaster by Edward I. It was purchased in 1561 by Thomas Levinge, who built himself a manor house on Parwich Hill. Traces of this early house form the foundations of the present Parwich Hall built in 1747 and now a Residential Home. The Levinge family lived here until 1814, when it was sold to William Evans of Allestree Hall.

It was William Evans who paid for the demolition of the ancient church which had fallen into disrepair, and a chapelry of Ashbourne until 1866; and {who} erected in 1873, the new church of St. Peter. Some of the most in interesting tins features of the old church were preserved by being built into the new structure. The most interesting being the old Norman tympanum of incised figures unfolding the story of the Redemption which is to be found over the west door. The registers which begin in 1640, but with some gaps in the early years, have been deposited with the County Record Office at Matlock. They have been filmed for the years 1640-1680 for and marriages and from 1640-1899 for burials.

William Evans built the village school in 1861 at the far end of the cluster of houses. Around the end of the 19th century, the landowners were, Mrs. Curtis and Mrs. Lewis, relatives of William Evans, living at the Hall, Miss Brownson, S. Grindey of Mayfield, Staffs., Isaac Grindey of Gratton Dale, Mrs. Dale and Lord Hindlip (Henry Allsopp). About sixty acres of land were owned by the churchwardens and overseers of the poor.

This is mainly a dairy area, with some inhabitants working at the limestone quarries a short distance at Ballidon and Longcliffe. A number now work further afield at Ashbourne or the brickworks at Friden, or travel to Derby, Chesterfield and Matlock.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ABELLADAMSAL(L)SOP(P)ALLENALTON
APPLEBYARDRONBAKERBARKERBEESTON
BENNINGTONBERESFORDBINCLIFFBLACKWELLBLO(O)RE
BOOTHBOSWORTHBOWERBOWLERBRADBURY
BRIDDONBRINDLEYBROOMFIELDBROWNLEEBROWNSON
BUNTINGBUTLERCALLADINECAMPSIECARSON
CHADFIELDCHADWICKCLAYTONCOLECORDEN
COTTERILLCOULTONCRABTREECRESSWELLCRITCHLOW
CROMPTONCROMPTON-INGLEFIELDCUNDYDAKEYNEDAKIN
DALEDAVISDEGGDELVEDODDS
DOUGHTYDREAPERDUCKERSEDENEDGE
ELLISEVANSFARNSWORTHFEARNFENTEM
FERNIHOUGHFISHERFITZ-JAMESFLETCHERFLINT
FLOWEFOXFRITHGADSBYGAIINSFORD
GERRARDGIBBSGOSLINGGOULDGRAHAM
GREATOREXGULLHADFIELDHAINCOCKHALL
HAMPSONHANSFORDHARRISHARRISONHEATHCOTE
HEATONHOBDAYHOLLANDHOPKINSONHOWE
INGLEFIELD-JACKSONJAMESONJEROMJOHN
JOHNSONKEELINGKENDRICKKINDERKIRKHAM
KNIVETONKRAMERLEELEEDHAMLEES
LEWISLOMASLORDLOVELOWES
LOWNDESLYONMABSONMACEMASKERY
MASONMATHERMAYMELLANDMERCER
MILESMILLWARDMOORCROFTMORGANMYCOCK
NAYLORNEWTONNORCLIFFEOLLERENSHAWPHILIPS
PICHOTTPLATTSPRINCERASPINRATCLIFFE
RAWLINSREDFERNRICHARDRIDERRIDGARD
RILEYROBERTSROBINSONROBOTHAMROBY
ROEROGERSROUTLEDGERUSSELLSAINT
SANDERSSEALSSHAWSHERRATTSHIPLEY
SIMSSKELLERNSLATERSMITHSPENCER
STATEYSTEELESTEEPLESSUTTONSWINDELL
TANTUMTAYLORTHOMPSONTHORNTONTOMLINSON
TOMSONTUNNICLIFFTWIGGEUNWINWALKER
WARDWARINGWATSONWAYNEWEBB
WEBSTERWESTONWHATMOREWHILCOCKWIBBERLEY
WOODWRAGGWRIGHTWRIGLEY 

MONUMENTAL MASONS

COPECOULSONDAKINFOSTERFRITH
GARRATTGIBBSGOODALLHARDYHILTON
HULMEJOHNSONKAYLIDSTERMORIN
MOUNSEYOWENPARSONSPETTSRENNIX
SMITHSTEELETINKLERVERNON 

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/ParwichMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter