Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of St Matthew's Church, Morley

Published in October 2004

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

The scattered village of Morley lies approximately 5 miles north east of Derby. The village is mentioned in the Domesday Book and at that time formed part of the estates of Henry de Ferrers. There is no mention of a church at this time, but it is quite probable that there was one.

The list of Rectors begins in 1334 with Robert de Heyford, Patron, Abbey of St. Werburgh, Chester.

At the dissolution of the Abbey, the manor of Morley, along with Smalley, passed through various hands and finally to the family of Sacheverell, who inherited it from the Stathums. In about 1378 Ralph Stathum married Goditha, heiress of the Morley lands and they lived in the manor house adjacent to the Church. Ralph and Goditha Stathum enlarged church and their descendants continued to be benefactors.

Sir Henry Sacheverell had stone framework and glass from Dale Abbey placed in the north chapel of Morley church. There are five windows, each consisting of four lights. Four are placed in the north wall and the fifth at the east end of the chapel. Sadly, little is left of the original glass as visitors to the church in the nineteenth century used to pull pieces of the stained glass out of the windows to take home with them. The windows were restored in 1847 by W. Warrington of London.

There are several fine memorials and brasses to the Stathams, Sacheverells and to the families with whom they married.

In the churchyard stands the mausoleum chapel of the Bateman family and next to this is a Gothic doorway, all that remains of the old Morley Hall. In the driveway to the church stands the old 'Butter' or 'Barter Cross' which was restored and the figures of Our Lady and Child placed on top of the shaft. Behind the church stands a seventeenth century barn which is now a private house.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ABBOTTALLENALLESTREEALLSOPARKWRIGHT
ATKINSONBABYNGTONBAILEYBAILEY/BELEYBARTRAM
BATEMANBATTERSBYBEARDSLEYBEARDSMOOREBEDFORD
BENSONBLEGGEBODENBORROWBOSWELL
BOTHEBRADBOURNEBRADSHAWBRENTNALLBROWN
BULLBURNINGHAMBURROWSCALLADINECARTER
CHAMBERSCHAPMANCHILTONCHOLERTONCLARKE(E)
CLOWESCOMPTONCOMPTON-BRACEBRIDGECOPECOULSON
CROMPTONCURRIECURSONDAKINDAWS
DAYDEGGEDEPPERDERBYDIGBY
DISNEYDOARDRINKWATERERRINGTONFINNEY
FISHERFITZHERBERTFLETCHERFOSBROOKFOX
FROSTGARDNERGARRATTGISBORNEGOODALE
GREAVESGREENGREENFIELDGREGORYHAMMERSLEY
HANBURYHANDSHARDYHARPER/URHASLAM
HAWKESWORTHHIBBERTHILLHILLERTHIND(S)
HODGKINSONHOLCOMBEHOLLANDHOLLINGWORTHHOOD
HOPKINSONHUDSONHUNTIBBOTSONJAMES
JERVISJOHNSONKAYEKEENKIDD
KINGKIRKKNAPTONKYTELACEY
LAKINLANELANGLEYLEESONLEGGE
LEWISLISTER-KAYELOCKSLEYLOWELUARD
MAPPMAPPLESMARTINMASONMAYER
MAYNARDMEADOWSMILLWARDMOORLEYMOSLEY
McAUSLANDNEEDHAMNEWNHAMNEWTONNICHOLS
NICKLESSNUNNOGDENOLDERSHAWOSBORNE
OXLEYPAGEPARKERPARKESPARKINSON
PEACHPEGGPEPPERPLANTPOLE
PORTERPOTTERPOYSERRADFORDREDFERN
RIDLEYROEROOMEROULSTONEROWLEY
RYLEYSACHEVERELLSALISBURYSCHWINDSCOTT
SEALESELBYSENCLOWSHAWSHEPHERD
SITWELLSKEVINGTONSLACKSLATERSLEIGH
SMEDLEYSMITHSOARSPENCERSTABLES
STANHOPESTANLEYSTANSBYSTATHUMSTAUNTON
STENNET(T)STIVENSTONESWINDELLTAYLOR
TEMPLETONTHOMASTHOMPSONTHORLEYTOPHAM
TWIGGEWADDYWALKERWARINGWASLEY
WEBSTERWHEATCROFTWHEELDONWHELERWHITAKER
WHITCROFTWHITEWHITTAKERWIGLEYWILLETTS
WILLIAMSWILLIAMSONWILMOTWILMOT-SITWELLWILSON
WISEMANWOODWARDWOOLLEYWRIGHT 

MONUMENTAL MASONS

BALLBATEMANBERESFORDBRADDOWCOULSON
DOBBSGARRATTHALLHOROBINJEE
JOHNSONKERRYLANGMORINOSBORNE
PARSONSROBINSONROTHERHAMSHENTONSMITH
TINKLERWARRINGTONWAUTHIERWHITEHURST 

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/MorleyMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter