Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of St Chad's Church, Longford

Published in October 2007

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

Longford is a scattered village situated on both sides of the Roman road known as Long Lane. There is no real centre of the village and the church is half a mile to the north beyond the park. Longford does not appear in the Domesday survey but it is thought to have been a part of Bubden which does appear in the survey with a church, a priest and a mill. The village of Bubden seems to have disappeared, but there is a Bubton Farm which is understood to be on the site of the old village. There is still a mill, now called Longford Mill, which probably stands on the site of the one mentioned in the Domesday survey. The mill is now a private residence.

The manor was held by the de Longfords whose medieval manor house was on the site of the present Longford Hall. Their tombs which date from mid 1375 to 1610 can be seen in the church. The manor house, rebuilt between 1560 and 1570, had remained virtually unchanged until 1942 when it was almost totally destroyed by fire. The Hall was rebuilt to almost the same in appearance as before except for the loss of the upper storey.

In 1620 the estate became the property of the Coke family who owned it for about 300 years. They were great benefactors of the parish. The Coke almshouses, built in 1687 by Sir Edward Coke still exist today. There are several monuments to the Coke family in the church.

Early industries in Longford were brick making, shown by Brick Kiln field names, paper making, where the now demolished Mill Cottages marked the site of the paper mill on Longford Brook, farming and cheese making. Longford's cheese factory, opened in 1870, is said to be the first one built in England.

The present church at Longford is dedicated to St. Chad and is not the church mentioned in the Domesday survey. The registers dating from 1538 have been deposited at the County Record Office at Matlock.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ALDRIDGEALLCOCKALLENALLSOPANSON
APPLEBYARCHERATTEWALLAUSTENAVERILL
BAILEYBALLBARKERBARNESBEARDMORE
BECKBEESONBENNETTBESTWICKBLOOD
BLOOR/BLOARBODILLBOLTONBOWLERBRACKLEY
BRIDGESBROWNBUCHARDBUDWORTHBULL
BYRCHCAROLIBYRICHCATYMERCHADDESDENCHADFIELD
CHAMBERLAINCLARK(E)CLAYCLAYTONCOKE
COLECLOUGHCOOKECOOPERCOPECOPESTAKE
COPESTICKCOPPERCOXONCRESSYCRUTCHLEY
DAKINDAVIESDEEPINGDERBYSHIREDICKIE
DOWNINGDUTTONDYDDESBURYEDWARDSEGERTON
ELEYELLICEEMERY/EMORYEVANSFABRE/FAVRE
FALLOWSFEARNFEATHERSTONEFISHBUMFITZHERBERT
FLETCHERFONEFOOTFORDFOX
FROGGATTFROSTGARDENERGARNIERGATON
GIL(L)MANGLOVERGOODALLGOODWINGRATTIDGE
GREENSMITHGREGORYGREGSONGRETTONGREY
HALLHAMMERSLEYHARDYHARRISONHAWKSWORTH
HAYNEHAYWARDHEL(L)ABYHERRICKHILL
HILTONHO(U)LDENHOLLOWAYHOLME(S)HUDSON
HUNTHURDJACKSONJEFFERYJOHNSON
KEYWORTHKIRKHAMKNIGHTONKNIVETONLAMBERT
LANGTONLARGELATIMERLEASONLEE
LEWISLIPSCOMBELONGELLYLONGFORDMACKWORTH
MASSEYMATTHEWSMAYERMILWARDMORECROFT
MORETONMORLEYMURREYMYDDLETONNEAL
NEWCOMBENIELDNORWOODOAKDENOLD
OLIVERORMEORTONOSSELTONPAYNE
PEACOCKPEARSONPERCYVALPHILLIPSPOLES
POTTERRADCLIFFERADFORDREDFERNEREDSHAW
RIDDITTROBERTSROBINSONROWLEYROWLINSON
ROWLSTONRUTLANDRYLEYSA(U)LTSAINT
SALFORDSALLOWESCOTTSHARPSHAW
SHERRATTSHERWINSHILTONSHIRBORNSIBLEY
SILVERSLANEYSMITHSPALTONSTONE
STUBBSSUTTONSWANNESYLESTONTATLOW
TAYLORTHACKERTHOMPSONTIPPERTRASH
TRIMMERTWIGG(E)UDALLVERNONWAINWRIGHT
WALKERWALLISWALPOLEWARDALEWARDE
WARRENWARRINGTONWATSONWEBBWHEELDON
WHITINGWHITTAKERWIBBERLEYWILDEWILLCOCK
WILLIAMSWILLIAMSONWILSONWOODWOODCOCK
WRIGHTYEOMANS   

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/LongfordMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter