Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of St Mary the Virgin's Church, Denby

Published in April 1996

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

Denby is an extensive scattered parish situated 3 miles south-east of Belper and 8 miles north of Derby. Part of the village lies along the busy Ripley to Derby road built in 1802, although the road is to some extent much quieter now, due to the building of the A38. The older part of the village in which the church is situated lies on an ancient road now cut off from the main stream of traffic.

To the west of the parish runs the old Roman Road, known as Riknild Street. This road passes through Bottle Brook, then through Smithy Houses and on to Street Lane which lies over the Ripley to Derby road. The name Denby means the village of the Danes and was regarded as a place of importance.

Denby was a coal mining area until recent years, the colliery being situated towards the Ripley to Derby road area. Denby was also a good agricultural area, with this occupation still in existence.

At the beginning of the 1800's, Joseph Bourne discovered a good bed of clay and began producing salt-glazed bottles and jars. The range of these products increased and is now known all over the world as 'Denby Ware'. One Denby industry which no longer exists is that of the brick and tile works of W.H. and J. Slater, who took over the works in 1874 from William Drury-Lowe, the local landowner. There was also a copperworks at Denby, which died out a couple of centuries ago. Here for smelting, was brought copper ore on the back of pack-horses, from the Duke of Devonshire's mines at Ecton in the Manifold Valley. The only clue to the whereabouts of this industry is the sign 'Copper Yard' at the entrance to the cricket ground.

Denby Free School, which nestles by the church, was founded by Jane Massie on the wishes of her husband's will in 1728. [Ed: see Note below.]

The church, dedicated to St. Mary the Virgin, is not mentioned in the Domesday Survey, but was obviously built soon after that time as it contains two Norman arches. The greater part of the building dates from the 14th and 15th centuries. The registers, which date from 1577, are deposited in the County Record Office at Matlock and can be viewed on film there. A transcription was made in the early years of this century by Mark Fryar, a copy of which is held by DARG.

We will be happy to answer specific queries regarding the above transcription, which covers 1577-1812, and also supply details from the memorial inscriptions from the list of surnames below.

DARG Original Source Ends Here

Jane Massie's Legacy : Denby Free School
[Additional information kindly supplied by Caroline Densham]

The statement above - that "Denby Free School...was founded by Jane Massie on the wishes of her husband's will in 1728" - whilst essentially correct, suggests the school itself was founded in 1728, which is not in fact the case.

According to Jane Massie's Legacy, a book by Gillian Holmes, it was not until 1762 that the Reverend Matthew PILKINGTON (Jane Massie's nephew and executor of her will) bought 38 acres of land on the left hand side of Straight Lane (an old Roman road, now called Street Lane) . On this land was High Park farmhouse, where out-buildings were already in use as a school. Repairs had been carried out over the previous ten years, and the poor children of Denby village were taught to read and write by the resident school master, Patrick FLETCHER, for an annual salary of £35 14s.

In 1799 there were 25 free pupils at Denby Free School; seven of them girls and none over the age of nine. Children over the age of 9 years were expected to work, some in the mines but mostly as farm labourers or framework knitters.

Denby parish had 158 families (881 people) living in 154 tiny cottages and farms with no running water and lit by candles.

Reference: Holmes, Gillian - Jane Massie's Legacy : Denby Free School, three hundred years of education and family life in a Derbyshire village. Published by the author, 1993 (COPAC).

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ABELALLDRE(A)DALLSOP(P)ALLWOODANDREW
ANNABLEARCHBOLDARCHERARNOLDASHLEY
ASKEYATKINSONBAKERBALDONBALL
BARBERBARDELL(ELL)BARKERBARLOWBATEMAN
BATESBAXTERBEARDBEARDMOREBEECH
BELLBENNETTBERESFORDBESTWICKBINKS
BINNSBIRDBLADENBLATHERWICKBOFFEY
BOISSIERBOLTONBOSSINGHAMBOTELERBOULTON
BOURNEBOURNE-WHEELERBOWLERBRACEBRADGATE
BRADLEYBRADSHAWBRAMWELLBRENTNALLBRIDGE
BRIDGERBRIGGSBRIGHTONBROWNBRYAN
BULLOCKBURDETTBURGINBURGOYNEBUTLER
BUXTONBYARDCALLADINECAMPBELLCARR
CARTERCARTWRIGHTCASECAULTONCHAMBERLAIN
CHAMBERSCHESLINCHURCHMANCLAYTONCLIFFORD
CLUSKEYCOCKAYNECOECOOKECOOPE
COOPERCOPECOTTAMCOULTONCOWLEY
CRESSWELLCROFTSCROOKSCUBLEYDALE
DARBYDAVISONDAWESDAYDENNING
DEWANCEDIXDODDSDOWNDRURY-LOWE
DUNNDYKEEARNSHAWEASTEREATON
ECKERSLEYEDWARDSEL(E)YELLIMELSE
EVANSEVENDENEYREFAKEFAULKNER
FEARNFEATHERSTONEFEBEYFIDLERFITZGERALD
FLETCHERFLOWERFODENFOLEYFORD
FOTHERGILLFOULKEFRETWELLFRYARFUTTER
GALEGARRATTGIBBESGIBBONSGIBSON
GILBERTGODBERGOODMANGOODWINGORDON
GRACEGRAHAMEGRAMMERGRANGERGREATORIX
GREENGREGORYGRIFFINGUILLEBANDGUYLER
HALLHALLAMHAMILTONHAMPSONHANCOCK
HANDRICKHANKINSONHARCOCKHARRISHARRISON
HARTSHORNEHAWKINSHAWLEYHAYNESHEATH
HEATHERINGTONHEATONHEMSTOCKHEWITTHIGTON
HILLHOGGHOLDENHOLGATEHOLLAND
HOLLINGSWORTHHOLMESHORSLEYHOUSDENHOWE
HUBBALLHUGHES-HAZELLHUNTHUNTERHURST
ILIFFIRELANDJARVISJEFFREYJEROME
JOHNSJOHNSONJUKESKEATINGEKEMP
KEMPSTONKERRYKEYKINGSTONKNIGHTON
KNIVETONKNOWLESLABANLAMBLAMIN
LANCASHIRELANDLEESONLILLEYLOMAX
LOOMESLOWELUKERMACKENZIEMANFULL
MANNINGMANSFIELDMARRMARRIOT(T)MARSHALL
MARSHALL-CLARKEMARTINMATLEYMAWMAYCOCK
MEACHAMMEAKINMEEMELBOURNEMELROSE
MILLHOUSEMILLINGTONMILLSMO(O)RLEYMOCKLER
MOONMOOREMORRELLMORRISMOSS
MURF(PH)INMUSSONMcARTHURNAYLORNEEDHAM
NORTHNORTHAMOGDENORMEORRELL
OSBORNEOUTRAMPACK-DRURY-LOWEPAGEPALFREM
PALMERPARKERPARKESPARKINPARR
PARRENTPATTISONPEACHPEACOCKPEGG
PERKINSPETERSONPETTITTPHILLIPSPICKSLEY
PIERCEPILKINGTONPLEMINGPLEWSPOLE
PORTERPOUNDALLPOVEYPOYSERPRICE
PRIESTMANPRINCEPYEPYKETTPYM
RADFORDRAYNESREDSHAWREEVEREGAN
RHODESRICERICHARDSONRICHMONDRILEY
ROBERTSROBINSONROD(G)ERSROSTRONSALMON
SALTSARGENTSARSONSAVERYSCHLIGHTING
SEALSEVERNSHARPESHAWSHELDON
SIMMSSIMPSONSINKERSLATERSMEDLEY
SMITHSNAPESOOBELLSPALTONSPENCE
SPENCERSPENDLOVESQUIRESSTAFFORDSTENSON
STEPHENSONSTEWARTSTIRLANDSTOCKLEYSTOKES
STONESTRELLEYSTRINGFELLOWSTRONGSWAIN
TAGGARTTAYLORTHIEROFFTHOMASTHOMASON
THOMPSONTHORLEYTHORPETOMLINSONTRANTER
TURNERTUSTAINWAINWRIGHTWALKERWALL
WARINGWATERALLWATERFALLWATHALLWATSON
WATTSWEBBWEBSIERWESTONWHEATCROFT
WHEATLEYWHEELERWHITEWHITEMANWHYSALL
WIGHTMANWILBRAHAMWILLIAMSWILLSONWINFIELD
WINTERWITHAMWOODWOODHOUSEWOOLLEY
WRIGHTWYLESYARDLEYYATES 

MONUMENTAL MASONS

BAGNALLBAILEYBERESFORDBRADDOWBROWN
BURGINCAMMCARRINGTONCOPECOULSON
CRESSWELLDERBY CO-OPDOBBSDRAYCOTTGARRATT
HALLHALLAMHAWLEYHICKINGBOTHAMHOLBROOK
KERRYLOMASNOTTS. CO-OPPARKINPARSONS
REDFEARNRIPLEY CO-OPROBINSONROESEAROY
TAYLORTINKLERWARRINGTONWILMOT 

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/DenbyMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter