Surnames from the Memorial Inscriptions of Holy Trinity Church, Chesterfield

Published in April 1998

How to Contact Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

DESCRIPTION

The parish of Holy Trinity was formed in 1867 and was originally part of the parish of St. Mary & All Saints. The church was built in 1838 as a Chapel of Ease on land to the north-east end of the town, provided by William 6th Duke of Devonshire.

It was licensed for baptisms and burials in 1838 and for marriages in 1853.

The registers have been deposited at the County Record Office, including Baptisms to 1983, Marriages to 1978, Banns 1963 to 1989 and Burials to 1940. The registers have been filmed covering the dates around 1900 and these are available for research in this form at the County Record Office.

The remains of the great engineer, George Stephenson, who died on the 12th August 1848 lie beneath the altar, where a slab now hidden from view, simply bears his initials G.S. In more recent years a memorial slab was laid in front of the altar with the inscription "George Stephenson, 1781-1848, Railway Pioneer. First President of the Institute of Mechanical Engineers." His name was also added to the wall memorial to his wife who had died in 1846, and the East Window was given to his memory.

LIST of SURNAMES from the Inscriptions

ADLINGTONALLENALLISONALLWRIGHTAMBRIDGE
ANCLIFFARIMITAGEASHMOREASHTONASKEY
ASPINALLBANSALLBARBERBARGHBARNES
BATTESONBELSEYBERRESFORDBIGGINBIRCH
BLACKBLACKBURNBLENCKBLOCKLEYBOND
BOOKERBOOTHBOTTSBOURNEBOUSFIELD
BOWERBOWKERBOWLERBRADLEYBRAYSHAW
BRENTNALLBROUGHBROWNBROWNLESSBUNTING
BURDETTBURGH/BURRBURKITTCALOWCARSON
CARTLEDGECHADWICKCHALLISCHALONERCHISHOLM
CLARKECLAYTONCOBBCOCKINGCOLES
COLLEDGECOLLIERCOLLISCOTTERILLCOWLEY
COWLISHAWCOXCRESWICKCRICKCROWDER
CUNDYDALYDICKINSONDIXONDOCKERAY
DOUGLASDRADERDRURYDUTTONEASTWOOD
ELLIOTTELLISEWARTEYREFALL
FIELDFLETCHERFLOATFORDFORSELL
FRITHGEORGEGIBSONGILESGILLING
GLADWINGLOSSOPGRACERSGRANTGRATTON
GRENVERSHARRISONHARTHASLEHURSTHATTON
HAVELOCKHAWKSLEYHAYESHAYNESHEATH
HEEDSHENSONHEPWORTHHERDHIGGINBOTTOM
HINDEHODGKINSONHODKINHOLEHOUSEHOLMES
HOPKINSONHORNCASTLEHOWARDHOWARTHHUBWOOD
HUKINHUNTERJACKSONJAQUESJARVIS
JEFFREY(S)JELLJENNINGSJESSOPJOBES
JONESKEATESKELLEYKENDALKIDGER
KINGWELLKIRKKNIGHTLANELANGHAM
LAUGHTONLEGGLEVICKLOWEMACHEN
MADINMARPLESMARSDENMARSHMARTIN
MASONMAYNARDMELLERSMELLORMERGERESON
MILLARDMITCHELLMOOREMORLEYMORTON
MOSSNAYLORNEWBYNEWCOMBENICKOLSON
NORBURNNUTTALLOLDFIELDOLIVEROUTRAM
PACEYPARKERPARSONSPARVAPETERS
PINDERPLANTPLATTPOGSONPOOLE
POWELLPREECEPRICERADFORTHRAMSDEN
RAWNSLEYRENSHAWREVILLREYNOLDSRHODES
RICHARDSONRIDLEYROBINROLLINSONSANFORTH
SCOTTSEAGERSEARSTONSHAWSHEMWELL
SHENTALLSHIPPAMSHOOTERSHORTSILCOCK
SLACKSLANEYSMITHSOMERTONSPOONER
STATHAMSTEPHENSONSTEVENSONSTREETSTRINGFELLOW
STUARTSTUBBINGSTUBLEYSUNDERLANDSWALE
SWIFTSYDALLTAYLORTHOMPSONTHRUPP
TIMMSTODDTOWNDROWTOWNSENDTUDOR
TUGBYTURNERUNWINWAGSTAFFWALKER
WALLWALLIS(S)WARDWARMSLEYWARREN
WATKINSONWATSONWEBBWESTONWHEATCROFT
WHITEWHITTINGHAMWIDDOWSONWILCOCKSONWILD
WILKINSONWILSONWINDLEWINTERWOOD
WORDSWORTHWORNEWRIGHTWYKES 

MONUMENTAL MASONS at Holy Trinity

ELLISKNOWLESMASONROLLINSONSHEPHERD
SMITHWALTERSWRIGHT  

STRAYS

A good number of 'Strays' are to be found In Holy Trinity churchyard from the following areas.
ASHOVER, Mill TownBOURNEMOUTHCHESHIRE, NorthwichCRAVEN, Skipton
DEVON, TeignmouthEAST INDIES, MolmeinFLAGGGUERNSEY
ISLE of MANKENT, SandwichLONDONMADEIRA, Funchal
MIDDLESEX, Turnham GreenNORFOLK, Kings LynnNOTTINGHAMNOTTS. Winkbourn
OVER HADDONOXFORDSHIRE, Hook NortonRIPLEYSURREY
YORKSHIRE, RotherhamYORKSHIRE, Sheffield  

Contacting Derbyshire Ancestral Research Group

Top Return to top of page

URL of this page: http://darg.gukutils.org.uk/ChesterfieldMIs.shtml
Logo from DARG's regular printed Newsletter